(The image on the left shows what the first aider or nurse had done to cover the cut; the image on the right, shows the cut once the nurse in A&E had removed the medical strips).

I took Little Yum-Yum to school as usual yesterday, and raced home to get some work done. I also had an appointment, at midday, so had to work around it.

Now, I usually put my phone on silent/vibrate, but for whatever reason, did not on this occasion. Towards the end of the appointment, my phone rang. When I looked at the screen to see who was calling, I started to panic as it was Max’s school.

The lady on the other end explained Max was in Reception with her, that I needed to collect him and take him to A&E (ER) as there had been an accident. There was a deep ‘cut’ on his chin, and it looked like he may need stitches or to have the wound glued.

After telling her I was on my way, I hung up and burst into tears. I thought “he must be in a lot of pain, and that he was going to have a massive scar across the bottom of his face for the rest of his life. He’s only 5 years old”.

It felt like it took forever to get there. I work from home, and the one day this week that I had to go out, this happens. By the time I got there, I had aged another 41 years and thought I was going to pass out from panicking so much (if this is at all possible). By the time I got to the gate to ring the bell, I was hanging on for dear life to the gate willing it to open faster than it did.

I got to Reception, and there was my precious little boy holding a blooded tissue to his chin, chatting for Britain! “Hello, mummy! Thank you for coming to collect me!”. The receptionist told me he wouldn’t stop talking and that he was so brave. I started crying again. I guess I was relieved it wasn’t as bad as I had initially thought, although it was still bad.

It turns out he and another boy were playing, perhaps a little too rough (as I’ve been told boys do), and he fell in the school playground. It was an accident.

I asked the Receptionist to call a cab for us, and the school paid the fare to the hospital. Once there, we spent a total of three hours – mostly waiting around. Thankfully, he did not need stitches, or glue. He was given some (children’s) pain medicine, it was cleaned up and more medical strips, plus a plaster was applied.

Once home, he was back to his usual hyper self as if nothing had happened.

This little boy is one tough cookie!

17 thoughts on “Yesterday

  1. House of Heart says:

    I’m so sorry this happened. My own little boy was a walking disaster, always getting hurt, cut…try as you might they rough house. I’m glad he is doing ok. ❤


Please feel free to leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s